If I had a nickel for every time I had instructors tell me that writing our struggles out is healing, I would have...well, a quarter. Come on, five times is kind of a lot!
My instructors weren't the only people onto the idea. Research by Pennebaker and others shows us that expressive writing is beneficial to most.
My instructors weren't the only people onto the idea. Research by Pennebaker and others shows us that expressive writing is beneficial to most.
I thought there must be something to this and I tried it out to see if it was true for me. It turned out to be a real gem. It helps me
gain perspective,
sort out the details,
and shift towards problem solving.
It engages the thinking brain. How handy...we humans cannot be in both an emotional mode and a thinking mode at the same time. This strategy has it's place in the arsenal for sure.
I know it is REALLY attractive to stop there, just do the writing and call it over. It's where I hung out for years.
But I wouldn't be serving anyone very well if I didn't speak to the other side of this equation. At some point feeling our emotions is critical to bigger changes in how we relate to them and the circumstances in our lives.
Start where it's right for you.
If you don't already have one, I would encourage you to get yourself a journal. Dedicate it to beautiful you. Write in it when you want without judgment or criticism and pay attention to what happens.
May it bring you great happiness.
I know it is REALLY attractive to stop there, just do the writing and call it over. It's where I hung out for years.
But I wouldn't be serving anyone very well if I didn't speak to the other side of this equation. At some point feeling our emotions is critical to bigger changes in how we relate to them and the circumstances in our lives.
Start where it's right for you.
If you don't already have one, I would encourage you to get yourself a journal. Dedicate it to beautiful you. Write in it when you want without judgment or criticism and pay attention to what happens.
May it bring you great happiness.
No comments :
Post a Comment